Keith Orton, Ph.D. is a licensed psychologist specializing in clinical and organizational psychology. He currently works with individuals, relationships/couples, and organizations. Keith returned to practice in 2009 after working over 20 years in various corporate settings providing clinical, organizational and human resources services.
What follows are few of Keith's professional endeavors that will hopefully give you a feel for the breadth of his experience and areas of competence:
Keith has extensive and diverse experience as a clinician. He was in full time clinical practice for 8 years in Portland, Oregon and continued in a part time private practice for 11 years after he entered the corporate world. His practice during those years included both individuals and couples who sought help for a wide range of emotional, behavioral, and relationship issues.
- While affiliated with Good Samaritan Hospital and Medical Center, he served as the Director of Clinical Services for their Pain Clinic for 5 years. In this role, Keith developed his assessment & treatment skills with clients experiencing acute and chronic pain syndromes. Keith's office was across the street from the hospital, so he quickly developed an active consultation practice with clients hospitalized for various physical/medical issues and also provided therapuetic support to many hospital staff.
- Keith provided clinical services and directed the Employee Assistance Program for US West, Inc. (now Qwest) for almost 10 years. This position added to Keith's leadership experience as he supervised a staff of 36 doctoral and masters trained clinicians across a 14 state region. The EAP program provided clinical assessment, crisis intervention, brief therapy, referral, and training for US West's 65,000 employees plus their dependents. Keith gained considerable expertise in the areas of chemical dependency and workplace violence evaluations, providing short term therapy, disability management and facilitating corporate transitions.
- Over the last 12 years, Keith held a variety of human resources leadership roles at both Intel Corporation and Cadence Design Systems. Through these opportunities, Keith added to his management and leadership skills while also strengthening his organizational development and human resources acumen. Keith's competency areas include management and leadership development, executive coaching, training, international human resources management and human capital strategy development. Organizational development and management consultation activities were daily and quite routine aspects of his work while in these human resources roles.
- In addition to his experience as a clinician treating clients with a broad spectrum of emotional and behavioral issues, Keith has strong expertise as a health psychologist. Much of his work in private practice was devoted to working with clients who had physical conditions that were either aggravated by psychological factors and/or gave rise to significant emotional/adjustment issues.
- Keith continues to present at National/Regional conferences and to general audiences speaking on topics ranging from approaches to pain management, managing workplace violence, transition management, substance abuse treatment funding, and managed behavioral health care to approaches to succession planning and career development.
B.S.; University of Oregon
M.S. and Ph.D.; University of Georgia
License, Certifications & Awards
Licensed Psychologist, Oregon, #490
APA Approved Pre-doctoral Internship, Veterans Administration Medical Center, Portland, Oregon
Post-doctoral Residency in Medical Psychology, Oregon Health Sciences University, Portland, Oregon
American Psychological Association
Oregon Psychological Association
Society for Human Resources Management